Garlic and Kale Soup
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 to 35 minutes
- 3.5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- Sea salt
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 drops liquid stevia
- 10 oz. kale (about 1 large bunch), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a 4 to 5-quart pot over medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of the broth and a pinch of sea salt until the broth has nearly evaporated, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and sauté 1 minute more (stir constantly so the garlic doesn’t burn).
- Stir in the vinegar and stevia; simmer until the vinegar is almost evaporated, stirring to scrape up browned bits from the pan.
- Add the kale and stir just until it wilts.
- Add the remaining broth and return to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 20 minutes more, or until the kale is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve