Greek Eggplant and Zucchini with White Beans
Phase 3 | Serves 6
Prep Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
FOR THE SAUCE:¼ cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 large shallots, thinly sliced
½ cup low-sodium, organic vegetable broth
2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes with juice
2 teaspoons dried oregano
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
FOR THE CASSEROLE:1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
3 medium zucchini (1½ pounds), sliced lengthwise ¼ inch thick
2 long, narrow eggplants (1½ pounds), peeled and sliced lengthwise 1⁄3 inch thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper
FOR THE TOPPING:1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, drained
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1⁄3 cup coarse sprouted-grain bread crumbs (about 1 slice ground in food processor)
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
First, make the sauce:
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Let the garlic sizzle for about 30 seconds, then add the shallots and cook until they’re soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer until it’s slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
- Partially cover the pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 12 to 14 minutes,
stirring occasionally. The sauce should reduce slightly. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf, and season with salt to taste.
While the sauce simmers, roast the eggplant and zucchini:
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Brush olive oil on two large baking sheets (you can line them with foil first for easier cleanup).
- Arrange the zucchini and eggplant slices in a single layer, brush them with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and bake for 15 minutes, until tender.
Make the topping:
Blend all of the topping ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
Assemble the casserole:
- Brush a large, shallow baking dish (about 10 x 15 inches) with olive oil. Lay half of the eggplant in the dish and spread one-fourth of the tomato sauce on top.
- Layer half of the zucchini on top, followed by another one-fourth of the tomato sauce.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining eggplant, zucchini, and sauce.
- Spread the topping evenly over the casserole.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle them over the casserole.
- Bake it in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve.
- Serves 6 as a side dish (counts towards 1/2 protein portion, 1/2 healthy fat portion, and a full veggie serving). Serves 3 as a vegetarian meal.