Grilled Charmoula Lamb Chops
Serves 6 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: Overnight (includes marinating time)
- A 1 1/2-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon paprika (not hot)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 6 lamb chops, frenched to the eye (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Toast the cinnamon stick, coriander, cumin, and cloves in a dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Finely grind the toasted spices in an electric coffee/spice grinder.
- Stir together with the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir together the oil and garlic in a large bowl and add the lamb chops, tossing to coat.
- Season with salt and toss with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and the cilantro. Transfer everything to a gallon ziplock bag.
- Squeeze out the air (so that the meat contacts the marinade as much as possible) and marinate, chilled, at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Season the lamb with salt and grill on an oiled rack about 4 minutes on one side, then 2 minutes on the other for medium-rare. (Alternatively, broil the lamb under a preheated broiler 2 to 3 inches from the heat.)
- Serve the lamb warm or at room temperature.