Serves 8 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth, plus more as needed
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cups quick barley
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the meat with the onion, celery, and garlic.
- Stir in the next 12 ingredients (everything except the barley). Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the barley, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- This makes a thick soup; if you’d like it to be more “soupy,” add 1 to 2 cups more broth and heat through. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed, and serve.
- For a complete grain serving on Phase 1, please serve with an additional 4 slices ( 1/2 slice per serving) of your favorite Phase 1 grain.