Homemade Tartar Sauce
Makes about 1 cup | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil (or a combination)
- 1/4 cup minced no-sugar-added dill pickle (such as Whole Foods kosher dills)
- 3 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a blender or food processor, blend the egg, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon mustard, and salt until smooth.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the oil in a very slow stream until the mayonnaise is thick.
- Transfer the mayonnaise to a bowl and stir in the 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon mustard, and all remaining ingredients.
- This tartar sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- First whisk the egg and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat until frothy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- When the egg mixture has cooled to room temperature, blend it in the blender with the mustard and salt and add the oil slowly (as above).