Jack O’ Lantern Stuffed Peppers
Serves 6 | Phase 2
Prep time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Ingredients1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup diced celery
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup baby spinach
6 orange bell peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the beef and onion.
- Turn the heat to low and add the celery, cilantro, garlic, salt, black pepper, oregano, and basil.
- When the beef is completely browned, remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Wash each bell pepper and remove the tops, cores, and seeds.
- Cut a jack o’ lantern face into each pepper.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly among the peppers.
- Put the stuffed peppers in a glass or enameled baking dish and pour 2 tablespoons of water into the bottom.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the stuffed peppers from the oven and take off the foil.
- Turn up the oven to 400 degrees and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow the peppers to cool somewhat before serving.