Kickin’ Collard Greens
Serves 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices nitrate-free turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon, and cook until crisp.
- Add the onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. (If you didn’t use oil, you can add a couple tablespoons of broth if needed to prevent sticking.)
- Add the garlic, and cook until just fragrant.
- Add the collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
- Stir in the chicken broth, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the greens are tender.