Lemon-Blueberry Spelt Scones
I don't know what I like about this recipe more, the combination of lemons, blueberries, and apples in a scone or that these scones are packed with vitamin C, antioxidants and heart-healthy properties? I'll let you decide!
Phase 1 |Serves 8
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
2 cups spelt flour
1⁄4 cup xylitol
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (from about 1 lemon)
1 cup (a 6-ounce container) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup peeled, cored, chopped raw apple (about 1 small apple)
1/2 cup unsweetened rice milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the spelt flour, xylitol, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix in the lemon zest. Add the blueberries, and mix gently to coat them with flour.
- Combine the apple and rice milk in a blender, and blend until smooth. Scrape this mixture into the flour mixture, add the vanilla, and mix well until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto the parchment-lined pan. Pat into an 8” circle and cut into 8 wedges, leaving the wedges together.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown (a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean). Cut again along the scored lines between the scones. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NOTE: Serve this recipe with an additional 3/4 cup of Phase 1 fruit.