Lentil and Quinoa Salad with Herbs
Serves 6 | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1½ cups quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 large bunch parsley, stemmed and chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a mesh strainer.
- Place it in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir to let the water evaporate and toast the quinoa slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups of water and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Leaving the quinoa covered, remove it from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a separate medium saucepan, combine the lentils with 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all of
the water is absorbed.
- Combine the cooked quinoa and lentils in a large mixing bowl and allow them to cool (or
refrigerate to speed up the process).
- When the quinoa mixture has cooled, mix in the red bell pepper, red onion, green onion, parsley, mint, dill, and garlic.
- In a jar or small bowl with a lid, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper. Shake to combine.
- Pour over the lentil and quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
- Adjust the seasonings of needed. Just before serving, top the salad with diced tomatoes and cucumber.