Moroccan White Beans
Serves 12 | Prep time: 15 minutes, plus overnight soaking time | Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes (or 55 minutes in pressure cooker)
- 1 pound dry white cannellini or Great Northern beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 3 ripe tomatoes, grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add 8 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer the beans over medium heat about 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender and the sauce is thick and no longer watery. (If the liquids reduce too much during cooking, add a little water to prevent the beans from burning.) Adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.
Note that the beans should be quite saucy. The beans will continue to absorb liquid as they sit, so allow for this if preparing the dish in advance.
Alternate pressure cooker method:
After bringing the ingredients and 8 cups of water to a simmer, cover and cook on pressure over medium heat for about 40 minutes, or until the beans are tender. If the beans are still submerged in sauce, reduce the liquids until the sauce is thick and not watery. Adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.