Healthy Pecan Sandie Shortbread Cookies
You’ll marvel at how these sweet, delicate shortbread cookies look and taste just like the classic pecan sandies sold in the grocery store — except they’re healthier and made without any butter or sugar. One thing is for certain; they’re just as irresistible.
Here’s a rule of thumb to keep in mind about eating desserts on the FMD:
If the dessert falls into the correct food categories for your phase-appropriate snack, you can eat that dessert for one of your snacks. However, if you want an additional dessert and you’ve already eaten your three meals and two snacks for the day, you can have the dessert as long as you add an additional day of phase-appropriate exercise. For example, an additional day of cardio during Phase 1, a second day of weight training during Phase 2, or a second day of stress-reduction exercise during Phase 3.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 3 hours 40 minutes (includes chilling and cooling time)
Makes 24 cookies*
Phase 3 and Maintenance
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 cup finely ground pecans
- 2/3 cup xylitol
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pecan halves, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, pecans, xylitol, salt, and baking soda. Mix in the melted coconut oil and vanilla.
- Place the dough in the center of a large piece of parchment paper and roll up, forming the dough into a large, evenly shaped log approximately 2½ inches in diameter. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place the slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press a pecan half into each. Like classic pecan sandies, this dough is crumbly — if a cookie breaks apart, just press it back together.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 15-20 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.
*This recipe makes 2 dozen, but you can easily halve it. 2 cookies is a grain and 1/2 healthy fat serving.