Post-Thanksgiving Cobb Salad
Serves 6 as a main dish | Prep time: 30 minutes |Total time: 30 minutes
For the dressing:
- 1 small or medium garlic clove
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
For the salad:
- 2 romaine hearts, or 1 romaine heart and 1 head Bibb lettuce, cut crosswise in chiffonade
- 1 small head radicchio, cut in chiffonade (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tablespoon each parsley and tarragon, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large ripe but firm avocado, sliced or diced
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds
Make the dressing:
- Place the garlic in a mortar with a generous pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, and mash it to a paste.
- Mix in the thyme and mustard.
- Whisk in the vinegar, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and the grapeseed oil.
- Set the dressing aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuces, radicchio, 1 tablespoon of the parsley (or parsley and tarragon), and 3 tablespoons of the dressing.
- Arrange this mixture down the center of a large serving platter or wide bowl.
- Toss the turkey with 1 teaspoon of the chives and 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
- Arrange the turkey on top of the lettuce chiffonade, down the length of the center of the platter.
- Season the chopped eggs with salt and pepper and toss them with 1 tablespoon of the dressing.
- Place the eggs in a strip next to the turkey or chicken.
- Toss the grated carrots with 2 teaspoons of the parsley or parsley and tarragon and 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette.
- Place the carrots in a strip on the other side of the chicken.
- Season the avocado with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the avocado down one side of the salad and half down the other.
- Sprinkle the chopped almonds and the remaining parsley and chives over everything.
- Pour the remaining dressing over all, and serve.
- Make sure that each serving is a crosswise serving so that all of the elements of the salad are included.
All of the elements except the avocado can be prepared a few hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Make the dressing and assemble the salad shortly before serving.