Quick Beef Pho
Phase 2 | Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
1 large yellow onion, divided
8 cups beef broth, divided
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 5-inch piece ginger root, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
3 whole star anise
1 cinnamon stick (about 3 to 4 inches long)
1 pound beef round steak, very thinly sliced (partially freeze the steak to make slicing easier)
2 cups quick-cooking Asian greens (such as baby bok choy, tatsoi, or baby spinach, cut into small
6 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage, daikon radish, or a mixture of the two
1 handful each of fresh basil leaves, mint leaves and cilantro leaves
1 red chile, thinly sliced
1 large lime, cut into quarters
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
2 to 3 drops stevia
Sea salt as needed
Crushed red pepper flakes
- Have all of the ingredients prepped and ready. Leaving the skin on, halve the yellow onion. Peel and thinly slice the remaining half. Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the broth, and add half of the onion (with skin intact) face down. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the star anise and cinnamon stick. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Place the sliced beef on a serving platter. Place the greens, cabbage/radish, herbs, chiles, and lime wedges on a separate platter. Place the crushed red pepper flakes alongside.
- When the broth is done, use a slotted spoon to remove the onion, ginger, garlic, and whole spices
- from the broth (discard).
- Add the tamari and stevia to the broth. Taste and add sea salt if needed. Raise the heat and bring the broth to a rapid boil. Have everyone assemble their Pho bowl. As soon as the broth is boiling, ladle 2 cups over each bowl, serve and enjoy!