Serves 8 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Bring the quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, zest, and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
- Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool the quinoa (you can spread it out on a large rimmed baking sheet to cool more quickly).
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and mix in 1/4 cup dressing.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
Add the cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, scallions, and remaining dressing to the quinoa, and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.