Savory Pumpkin Soufflés
I can't decide what I love most about this dish, the fact that it's a savory, beautiful pumpkin dessert or that it's so simple to make! This is a great dish to get in all those amazing healthy fats your body loves on Phase 3!
Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
INGREDIENTSRaw coconut oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon arrowroot
1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
1 cup mashed or canned pumpkin
3 eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat the inside of four 1-cup ramekins with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat until it is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the sage, salt, pepper, and arrowroot and mix well.
- Stir in the milk and pumpkin.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for just a few minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture, and then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the soufflés are puffed and their middles are set.
- Serve immediately.