Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Stew
Phase 1 and Phase 3
Serves 8 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 3 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, wild rice, bay leaves, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Lay the chicken breast halves on top, and add the broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or on high for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, and stir it back into the slow cooker.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the parsley, season with additional salt and pepper to taste, and serve.