Slow-Cooker Whole Roast Chicken
Serves 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 4 to 5 hours
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4 1/2- to 5-pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- Combine the first six ingredents (oil through pepper) in a bowl and microwave, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute; let cool slightly.
- Loosen the skin over the chicken’s breast and thighs, and rub half of the spice paste under the skin.
- Rub the rest of the paste over the outside of the chicken.
- Place the chicken breast-side down in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until the breast registers 160 degrees and thighs register 175 degrees, 4 to 5 hours on low.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving.