Spicy Turkey Tacos
Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium size onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium sweet potato, diced small (about 2 cups)*
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound leftover shredded turkey
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
1 cup sugar-free salsa
¼ cup diced jalapeño peppers
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 sprouted-grain tortillas
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup sliced tomatoes, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, cooking over medium heat for 3 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the diced sweet potato and the salt, cooking over medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water and the pepper and continue cooking for about 3-5 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft but not mushy.
- Add shredded turkey, chili powder, cumin, salsa, ¼ cup of water and half the diced jalapeño peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes until warm all the way through. Remove from heat, add the lime juice and mix well.
- Place each tortilla on a plate and top with turkey and sweet potato mixture, fresh cilantro, sliced tomato, a couple of slices of avocado and the remaining diced jalapeño peppers.
- One portion is a protein, healthy fat, and vegetable serving for Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet.
*You could use leftover cooked sweet potato; dice your sweet potatoes and add with the turkey. If you have leftover mashed sweet potato, spread them on your tortilla before topping with turkey.