Fast Metabolism Strawberry Preserves
Offering up a wide range of health benefits, strawberries are rich in flavonoids, folate, and anthocyanins, which can help to improve heart and brain health. Plus, they make a sweet, fruity preserve for your Phase 1 toast which is definitely going to boost your mood and put a smile on your face!
Phase 1 | Makes 1 cup preserves (serving size is 2 tablespoons)
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes
- 1-quart hulled strawberries (a 16-ounce bag of thawed frozen strawberries works great)
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sprouted grain toast or English muffin halves, to serve
- In a food processor, pulse the strawberries 3 or 4 times, until they’re coarsely chopped.
- Transfer the strawberries to a large skillet, and stir in the xylitol and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the jam is thickened and bubbles completely cover the surface, 9 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the jam to a jar, and let it cool to room temperature. (To store, put the lid on the jar and refrigerate, up to 10 days).
- Enjoy 1 slice of sprouted grain toast with 2 tablespoons of preserves for Phase 1 breakfast, along with a fruit.