Sweet Apple Cake
If you like apple-y treats, then you are going to love this Sweet Apple Cake. It is bursting with juicy apples, and the antioxidants, flavonoids, and dietary fiber you need to start your morning off right!
Phase 1 | Serves 4
Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
4 egg whites
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon birch xylitol, plus an additional 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
1 cup minus 1 tablespoon spelt flour, measured then sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened rice milk
4 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced apples (Golden Delicious or Granny Smith work well)
Powdered xylitol for dusting (just whiz a couple of tablespoons of xylitol in your blender)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round pan with parchment and set aside.
- Place the egg whites, 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon xylitol, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until thick and creamy, about 2 minutes at medium-high speed.
- Add the spelt flour, baking powder, and rice milk, and beat at low speed just until well combined. Add 2/3 of the apple slices to the batter and mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Arrange the remaining apple slices on top of the batter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of xylitol.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack until just warm.
- Dust the cake with powdered xylitol. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan before cutting.