Sweet Potato Gnocchi Skillet
This Sweet Potato Gnocchi Skillet will become one of your favorite recipes on Phase 3! The healthy fats in this dish, like the coconut milk and olive oil, help feed your thyroid, the metabolic rock star that is responsible for more than 80% of your body's fat-burning ability.
Phase 3 | Serves 4
Prep time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cubed
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups oat flour, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, to fry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound nitrate-free chicken andouille sausage, sliced into bite-size pieces
1 cup quartered mushrooms
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup full-fat coconut milk
2 cups fresh spinach
- Place the peeled, cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot. Add water to cover. Boil uncovered 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the tapioca flour, salt, and 1/2 cup of the oat flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Continue adding oat flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough starts to form a ball. When it gets difficult to stir, continue kneading in oat flour with your hands until the dough isn't very sticky.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. On a well-floured surface (use oat flour), roll one portion of dough into a rope 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces and set aside. Repeat with the other 3 portions of dough. (Optional: You can press a fork into each piece to make ridges.)
- Fill the large pot with water about half-full. Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Place a large baking sheet next to the stove to set the cooked gnocchi on. When the water boils, add 1/4 of the gnocchi to the water. The gnocchi will sink to the bottom. Once they float to the top, remove them with a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the gnocchi.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the 2 tablespoons oil. Fry the gnocchi in batches until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the gnocchi from pan and set aside.
- Add the 1 tablespoon oil and the sausage to the pan. Brown the sausage on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the next 5 ingredients (tapioca flour through pepper). Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes to thicken. Stir in the spinach and cook until it wilts. Add the gnocchi and sausage, stir to coat, and serve.