Sweet Potato Hash Brown Quiche
Serves 5 | Prep time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive or coconut oil, divided
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 5 asparagus spears, trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces cooked, crumbled nitrate-free turkey bacon or sausage
Make the crust:
- Peel and coarsely shred the sweet potatoes.
- Place them in a bowl, cover with water, stir, and then drain in a colander.
- Repeat rinsing and draining two or three times until the water runs clear.
- Press out as much water as you can. Line a salad spinner with paper towels; add the sweet potatoes and spin (or pat dry with paper towels). Repeat, if necessary, until the sweet potatoes are dry.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and toss with the sea salt and black pepper.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat.
- Spread the potatoes evenly in the skillet, pressing with the back of a spatula to form a cake.
- Cook, without stirring, about 12 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp (reduce the heat if necessary to prevent burning, and check often by sliding a flexible spatula under the edge to take a peek).
- Place a baking sheet or cutting board over the top of the skillet.
- Carefully invert the skillet to transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet.
- Using the baking sheet, slide the potatoes back into the skillet, uncooked side down.
- Cook about 8 minutes more or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Use the baking sheet to transfer hash browns to a 9-inch pie dish, pressing the hash browns into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
Make the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet (you can use the same one from the crust) and sauté the onion, bell pepper, and asparagus for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the asparagus is cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the next nine ingredients (eggs through black pepper).
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables, fresh spinach, and cooked bacon or sausage.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the quiche from the oven, allow it to set for at least 5 minutes, and then slice and serve.