Phase 2 (vegans only) | Serves 4
Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 20 hours
16 ounces firm or extra-firm tofu
½ cup tamari
3 tablespoons all-natural liquid smoke
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
10 drops liquid stevia
1 tablespoon black pepper
- Cut the tofu widthwise into 12 thin slices. Put the tamari, liquid smoke, onion powder, minced garlic, stevia, and pepper in a gallon-size plastic food storage bag and add 2 tablespoons of water. Shake the bag a little to mix the ingredients together.
- Add the tofu slices, shake the bag to coat the tofu, seal tightly and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170°F.
- Lift the tofu from the marinade, letting any excess drip back into the bag. Lay the slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 7 hours, or until they are very dry, or reach desired texture.
- You can also use a dehydrator. Serve cold.