Serves 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup safflower mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, each stuck with a wooden pick to keep it together
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, quartered lengthwise, peeled, and cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- Olive oil for brushing on onion and avocado
- 3 sprouted whole grain hamburger buns, grilled or toasted
- 6 slices cooked nitrate-free turkey bacon
- Cilantro sprigs
- In a small bowl, whisk together the safflower mayonnaise, mustard, and 1 teaspoon chipotle, and set aside.
- Gently mix the beef with the remaining 1 teaspoon chipotle, paprika, and 1 teaspoon sea salt until combined. Form into 6 patties.
- Prepare a grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas).
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of the onion rounds and avocado slices with olive oil.
- Grill the onion rounds, turning over once, until slightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes total. Discard the wooden picks.
- Grill the avocado slices, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 30 seconds on each side.
- Grill the patties, covered only if using a gas grill, until they reach 160°F in the center on an instant-read thermometer, approximately 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Serve the burgers open-faced on the bun halves with bacon, lettuce, avocado, onion, cilantro, and chipotle mayo.