Serves 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 12 ounces drained tuna (olive oil-packed)
- 2 slices sprouted-grain bread, ground to crumbs in a food processor
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons safflower mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salsa, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna, breadcrumbs, eggs, chopped cilantro, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Mix gently just until the ingredients hold together.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil.
- Pack the tuna mixture into a 1/3-cup measure to make 8 patties.
- Cook the tuna cakes until crisp and golden on both sides. Serve with salsa and cilantro.