Turkey Meatball Soup with Greens
Serves 4 | Phase 3
Prep time: 35 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 8 cups trimmed chopped lacinato kale (about 1 pound)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, quinoa, parsley, basil, salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 2 garlic cloves, and egg whites in a large bowl; mix gently just until combined.
- Working with damp hands, shape the turkey mixture into 24 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the meatballs are just cooked through (take care not to overbake).
- Meanwhile, heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the broth, shallots, and celery; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of broth and the remaining 4 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute.
- Add the kale, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes or until the kale is tender.
- When the meatballs are done, add them to soup and heat through.
- Taste the soup and add salt if needed.
- Serve with lemon, if desired.