Upside-Down Ratatouille Pasta
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 zucchini (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (one 15-ounce can)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons thin-sliced basil leaves
- 2 cups cooked quinoa-kamut or sprouted grain pasta
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the chicken and sauté until it’s just cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining oil, onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vinegar, chicken, and 1/2 cup of the basil.
- Top with the cooked pasta, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil.