5 Heavy Metals to Watch For & What to do About Them
5 Heavy Metals to Watch Out For & What to Do About Them
Can heavy metals be getting in the way of you losing weight? Are you ready to detox and cleanse in a way that speeds up your metabolism? Heavy metals can be found in everything from our food, water, air, to our makeup and even household products. As a result of heavy metal toxicity, our body stops producing hormones; their receptor sites become blocked, and our metabolism stalls. But did you know that you have the power to interrupt this system and change your metabolism for the better? Using a food prescription to repair these metabolic pathways we can get you back to the fast metabolism your body will thrive on.
My community has lost over a million pounds over the last two years, and it’s by using these strategic food prescriptions to support a whole body detox as part of that solution. I get that it’s overwhelming when we begin to talk about toxicity, so for the thousands of clients and community members asking, let me dive into some common metals we’re talking about and how we can reduce your toxic load to get you back to a fast metabolism.
5 Common Heavy Metals: Where Are They Found and What Can They Lead To?
- Mercury. This chemical can be found in thermometers, batteries, pesticides, fish, and in the polluted air released from incinerators and coal-fired power plants. Accumulation can lead to decreased immunity and increased risk of infections, autoimmune conditions, and kidney dysfunction, as well as changes in mood, cognition, and behavior.
- Lead. Commonly found in batteries, lead paints, pipes, drains, and contaminated water systems (like the crisis in Flint, MI). Lead can lead to serious developmental disorders, impaired Vitamin D metabolism, constipation, altered taste and dysfunctional metabolic pathways.
- Arsenic. This metal can find it’s way into our body from contaminated food and water, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, as well as the sealants and coatings on residential decks, playground structures, plastic fences, and picnic tables. This harmful substance targets the nervous system and can lead to muscle weakness, certain cancers, digestive pain, dizziness, nausea, and heart failure.
- Cadmium. As cadmium builds up, it can prompt nutrient deficiencies and affect everything from our nervous system to our kidneys, lungs, and heart. Sources come from cigarettes, mining, paints, batteries, plastics, synthetic rubber, and even old “Cadmium Red” dentures.
- Aluminum. Commonly found in aluminum cookware, food containers, flatware, coffee pots, cans, and some cosmetics (especially deodorants), this heavy metal can inhibit enzymes that are needed to produce energy and keep your metabolism working efficiently.
What to Do About It.
In my clinic there are specific ways I help to remove these heavy metals and begin to detox and cleanse the body to speed up the metabolism.
- Try my 14-Day Heavy Metal Cleanse. This is the gold standard when it comes to an immediate metabolic solution for heavy metal toxicity. I’ve put together this strategic program designed to facilitate your body’s natural ability to release heavy metals. Along with an e-book and strategic meal planning guide, we provide products with specialized ingredients, such as EDTA, chlorella, cilantro, and antioxidant-stimulating nutrients. These ingredients support your health when your body is challenged by environmental toxins like heavy metals. My Cleanse will help alleviate your toxic overload, enhance your physical performance and mental clarity, and stimulate the natural detoxification pathways.
Eat your Medicine. When I was going through my own serious autoimmune and health issues, I turned to food as the solution to get me back to health. In addition to my 14-Day Heavy Metal Cleanse that I use in my clinic, there are some specific food strategies we can layer into the Fast Metabolism Diet to promote detoxification of heavy metals.
- Consume Alkalizing Vegetables. I’m always looking for ways to get lots of vegetables in meals and snacks. Almost all veggies are alkalizing, but green veggies are the real superheroes. You might add basil and spinach to your next pasta sauce or try this delicious Zucchini Noodle Pasta with Cilantro Lime Chicken.
- Choose Organic. To reduce pesticides and herbicide contamination, choose organic when you can. Check out the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen list to know what produce has the highest pesticide content.
- Add Cilantro, Parsley and Dandelion greens to your meals and snacks – your liver will thank you! I love adding cilantro to a Creamy Guacamole snack with jicama or including parsley into my breakfast like my refreshing Detox Smoothie.
- Add Nuts & Seeds. Almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds are high in Vitamin E and Zinc, which help prevent heavy metals from building up and helps to boost your burn rate. Zinc is also high in beef, lamb, and oysters and additional good sources of Vitamin E are leafy greens like spinach and swiss chard. Add almond butter with celery for a Phase 3 snack or Broiled Oysters with Bacon for a Phase 2 meal.
- Use detoxifying Herbal Teas. Dandelion, Burdock, Neem and Milk Thistle have powerful detoxifying effects on the liver. Heavy metals don’t easily leave the body, but using some of these herbal teas can boost our body’s ability to excrete them.
- Skin Brushing, Massage & Saunas. Try dry skin brushing or a massage to support the ability of our lymphatic system to flush out toxins. Saunas, especially Infrared Saunas, can be particularly helpful as they reach further into our skin tissues to pull out these poisonous substances. These effortless ways of detoxing will rev your metabolism and boost your immune system.
- Drink spring water. Remember you must drink ½ your weight in ounces daily. That means if you weigh 150 pounds, that 75 ounces of water every day. Water is needed to help flush out heavy metal toxins and is necessary to keep your body functioning most efficiently.
- Get tested. Not sure if your weight loss resistance or increased inflammation is due to heavy metals? You might want to consider testing to determine if heavy metal toxicity is a barrier to your health goals.
I’ve seen incredible results in our clinic and online community from clients using these simple strategies alongside my 14-Day Heavy Metal Cleanse. When you begin to support the removal of heavy metal toxic buildup you’ll begin to see your metabolism rev up, you’ll boost your burn rate, and you’ll allow your body to receive the nutrients it needs to thrive.