Feeling funky on Phase 2?
Are you feeling fabulous on Phase 1 and Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet, but Phase 2? Not so much. If your energy is low, if you have some aches and pains, some flu-like symptoms or just general low energy on Phase 2, there are two main reasons why this could be -
1. You’re releasing lots of toxins on Phase 2, but the pathways of detoxification — mainly the liver and the bowels — aren’t getting enough support.
Phase 2 is where the body releases historical fat, and bound up in those old fatty deposits are toxins from anything from exposure to cleaning supplies to metal exposure from old dental work. When that historical fat is released into the bloodstream, so are those toxins. Your liver and bowels need to work extra hard to process those and eliminate them from the body, so it’s important to fully support those functions. In the video, I talk about several things you can do. Really making sure you’re eating lots of alkalizing veggies is number one, but here are the other ideas I mention:
- Milk thistle tea. Milk thistle can help the liver better process fat-soluble toxins. You can find it at most health food stores. Alvita Milk Thistle Tea is easy to find, but there are many more.
- Chlorella. This is phytoplankton that helps absorb toxins in the GI tract, letting you pass them more easily. Look for a brand that’s soy, wheat, and corn free. And as with all supplements, it’s a good idea to check with your physician first. Chlorella is also great to take before you eat fish since so much fish these days are high in heavy-metal contamination. I like the Sun Chlorella brand.
- Bentonite clay. This is another natural substance that helps bind toxins. It’s like a mop in your GI tract. Use about 1/8 tsp. dissolved in warm water.
2. Your micronutrient balance is off.
On Phase 2, your food list is a little more restricted than on the other phases, so your micronutrients can also be more limited. This is why it’s super important to eat lots of vegetables, and also eat a wide variety of those Phase 2 veggies. Especially on Phase 2, which includes so much protein (which creates acidity in the body), you should be mindful of your body’s pH balance. That’s why I talk so much about eating alkalizing veggies to balance out the acidity of the animal protein. A few other things you can do:
- Check your body’s pH. Use simple urine test strips for this. You can find them here. Your morning urine often tests a little acidic, about 6.0. But a couple of hours later, you should test right around 6.8. That’s the sweet spot. If you’re testing over 7.2, your body is too alkaline and is releasing minerals from the body. If you’re below 6.8, really load up on alkalizing veggies. If you’re over 7.2, cut back to balance yourself out.
- Eat lots of lemon and lime. These contain lots of micronutrients and can help balance pH.
- Consider a broad multivitamin. This can help smooth out the bumps and fill in any micronutrients you might not be getting enough of. My Metabolism Multi is a multivitamin designed for this. You can find it here.
- Consider a potassium supplement. This can help balance electrolytes and support pH balance.