Let's Make DIY Face Masks Together!
DIY Face Masks
Remember the skin is the largest organ in the body! Treating it to nourish the skin by making food-based masks are very beneficial to the metabolism. They can improve color and texture, deep cleanse, remove dead cells from the surface, and bring fresh color and life to your skin.
MAKING AND USING MASKS
Spread the mask over your face and neck (if you have dry skin or broken veins, be very careful as masks may be overstimulating). I suggest patch testing this mask on the back of the wrist before applying it to your face.
You can put on a face mask and take a phone call or a meeting or reorganize your fridge! If possible rest by laying down and applying cucumbers or cotton soaked in chilled chamomile tea during your face mask.
Wash the mask off in lukewarm water followed by a cool splash.
Apply a moisturizer. My favorite is popping open a capsule or two of Metabolism Fatty acids for a deep and soothing moisturizer. This can be extremely healing and anti-aging!
If you are allergic or don't want to use any particular ingredient, feel free to replace it with a like product. For example, sometimes I love to add essential oil blends!
BASIC DETOX MASK
This Basic Detox Mask may be made in advance and stored in an airtight jar ready for mixing with one tablespoon of hot water to the soft paste. I like to apply this mask warm and will often heat for 15 seconds in the microwave before applying. Make sure to test on the back-side of your wrist before applying to the face and neck.
2 ½ oz (75g) bentonite clay
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon finely ground oats, oat flour
1 tablespoon finely ground almond meal
5 drops essential oil Rosemary (You may like a few more)
5 Drops Essential oils Lavender (You may like a few more)
¾ C Milk Thistle Tea Steeped in hot water for at least 2 minutes
- Combine all the dry ingredients together well in a small bowl. Add the essential oil one drop at a time, stirring well to prevent lumping.
- Mix well, apply generously.
- Let this nurture your face for 5-15 minutes.
- Store leftovers in a bottle or glass container with a lid.
OAT MILK AND ORANGE MASK FOR ROUGH or DISCOLORED OR SCARRED SKIN (I even used this on my surgery scars post healing)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon wheat germ oil
3 slices of an orange
1 teaspoon Manuka Honey (all natural is ideal)
5 drop rose or geranium essential oil
5 drop rosewood or jasmine essential oil
Dried oat or goats milk powder, to mix (4-6 tsp)
¾ C Chamomile tea steeped for at least 3 minutes
To Make and Use:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl, adding just enough dried milk powder to make a smooth paste.
- Smooth over your face and neck and leave for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off and apply a moisturizer.
- If you want to store this you must freeze it, as it has raw eggs in it. I love to freeze this mask in an ice cube tray and pop out just enough to warm up and use again.
ARROWROOT FACE MASK FOR ACNE OR IRRITATED SKIN
This is a very powerful mask for those dealing with the bacterial and pH balance of the skin. The Manuka honey and Pau D’ arco Teaare both antimicrobial and the Matcha tea is rich in antioxidants reducing puffiness and red or angry skin inflammation. For a thicker or thinner mask, vary the amount of arrowroot and tea. The mixture thickens as it cools. You can rewarm it several times.
2 teaspoons Arrowroot
2 teaspoons Manuka honey
¾ cup (180 ml) double-strength infusion of Matcha and Pau D arco Tea
1 teaspoon garlic-infused olive oil
4 drops of Grapefruit seed extract
To Make and Use:
- Make sure to patch test this on the back of the wrist before applying to the face and or neck.
- In a saucepan, mix the arrowroot and honey to a smooth paste with a little of the infusion.
- Stir in the remaining infusion and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the infused oil.
- Smooth over your face and neck while warm and leave for 15 minutes. (You can make extra and reapply nightly to trouble spots.)
- Rinse off and apply a moisturizer, I love the Metabolism Fatty Acids
- This mask keeps well without refrigeration except in very hot weather. It works best applied while warm as to open the pores and promote the infusion of the nutrients into the blocked pores.