Relieve Stress with Alternate Nostril Breathing
Alternate nostril breathing helps make up for the fact that most of us unintentionally favor one nostril over the other, while breathing this practice helps restore balance to breathe which in turn balances the body. This is an ideal practice for hormone imbalance because balance in any system helps restore balance in all systems. For this reason alternate nostril breathing also helps restore balance to the emotions, so this is an ideal success booster for when you’re feeling subject to mood swings or emotional extremes.
What You Need:
At least three fingers and a nose
Step by Step:
Sitting in a comfortable cross legged position or in a chair with a straight back, rest your index finger in the center of your forehead. Breathe normal for a few breaths and relax.
- Close your right nostril with your thumb.
- Inhale slowly through your left nostril.
- Release your right nostril and close your left nostril with your ring finger.
- Exhale slowly through your right nostril. Now inhale through your right nostril, slowly.
- Close your right nostril and release your left nostril. Now exhale through your left nostril slowly.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 nine times.
- Breathe normally for a few breaths. Then move on with your day balanced and relaxed.
When you’re comfortable with a. Regular practice of alternate nostril breathing you can try a more advanced technique:
- Try holding your breath for 3 to.5 seconds as you switch nostrils, at the top of the inhale and at the bottom of the exhale.
- To get even more advanced hold your breath only after the inhale for an energizing effect. Hold only after the exhale for a calming effect.