What nutritionists REALLY eat
April 19, 2011
Marie Claire profiles five top nutritionists, including Haylie Pomroy, asking each about what they eat on a typical day. Says Haylie: “I view food as my number one form of medicine.”
Weight: 117 pounds
Clients: Frédéric Fekkai, Robin Quivers
The tab: Personalized programs are $850.
Fitness regimen: Aims to work out every day. Either bounces and dances on a mini trampoline for 45 minutes or cycles around Central Park for an hour.
Indulgences: Dark chocolate, goat cheese, goat milk, ice cream, red wine.
M.O.: "Instead of being bogged down by your meal, you should be elevated by it. I don't use food mindlessly as a social pastime or something to do when I'm bored. It's spiritual, and truly part of a holistic lifestyle. I believe that we take our vitality predominantly from the air, sunlight, and clean water, so I don't take anything but this 'life force energy' until the sun goes down, then I enjoy nutrient-rich foods — along with others that are less so but that I enjoy anyway! Of course there are fun things to eat. But most people eat to escape their lives. A lot of us don't realize that we don't need to do things the normal way."
Core advice: "I don't recommend my diet to beginners. Start slowly with any diet or detox, and make sure you're eating tons of seasonal, fresh fruits and vegetables."
- Lemon tea with fresh, raw grated ginger, a squeeze of lemon, and Stevia to taste (a natural, calorie-free sweetener), 24 fl oz — 3 calories*
- Mountain Valley Spring Water, 16 fl oz — 0 calories
- One small watermelon — 230 calories
- Two cantaloupes — 376 calories
- Two bananas — 200 calories
- Smoothie (pineapple, avocado, kale, alfalfa sprouts, coconut water, mint) — 366 calories
- Box of Salud macaroons, 4.5 oz — 604 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES: 1,779
*All calorie counts are approximate
Location: Los Angeles
Weight: 142 pounds
Clients: Emily Deschanel, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Andy Richte
The tab: Initial consultation package, including unlimited e-mail correspondence, starts at $350.
Fitness regimen: Works out every day for at least one hour. Alternates between Spin class, weights, yoga, and a personal training session.
M.O.: "I'm shooting CW's Shedding for the Wedding, so it's been crazy, but I am not OK with putting processed food or poor-quality proteins into my body. In case there isn't anything I deem worthy available, I make sure to carry vegan protein supplements, to which I can add greens, coconut water, or water that I filter through a 3M reverse-osmosis system. That allows me to have an on-the-go snack that won't bloat me and keeps my energy stable throughout the day. Hemp provides a complete vegetarian protein and is an important fatty acid for hair, skin, and nails and hormone regulation."
Core advice: "Always choose the best-quality foods and drinks, and you'll provide your body with all it needs to function efficiently. Understand nutrition in order to make good food choices."
- Lemon tea with fresh, raw grated ginger, a squeeze of lemon, and Stevia to taste (a natural, calorie-free sweetener), 24 fl oz — 3 calories
- Water with lemon slice and Align Probiotic Supplement, 8 fl oz — 0 calories
- Organic kale smoothie (fresh kale, apple, ginger, 3 tbsp hemp protein powder), 12 fl oz — 213 calories
- Nature's Path Optimum Slim cereal, 4 oz — 105 calories
- 15 almonds — 105 calories
- Salad (organic greens, shiitake mushrooms, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 1 tsp gomasio [sesame salt], 1 tbsp Bragg Ginger & Sesame Salad Dressing), 24 oz — 232 calories
- Chamomile mint tea, 8 fl oz — 0 calories
- Water with one scoop of rice protein powder, 6 fl oz — 100 calories
- 80 percent dark chocolate, 1.5 oz — 268 calories
- Wild salmon sashimi on cucumbers, 2 oz — 95 calories
- Green beans in black bean sauce, 4 oz — 262 calories
- Seaweed-wrapped albacore tuna with ponzu sauce, 2 oz — 111 calories
- Edamame (5) — 10 calories
- Miso cod, 4 oz — 77 calories
- Water with 1tbsp chia seeds and half a lemon, 16 fl oz — 70 calories
- Hot water with 1 tbsp Natural Calm magnesium, 8 fl oz — 0 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES: 1,758
Location: NYC and Los Angeles
Weight: 110 pounds
Clients: Owen Wilson, Drew Barrymore, Olivia Wilde
The tab: Services start at $350 per hour.
Fitness regimen: Vinyasa yoga three to five days a week for 90 minutes. Twenty of those minutes are devoted to meditation.
Indulgences: Dark chocolate, gluten-free brownies and cookies.
M.O.: "My approach is rooted in digestion, so I look at the order and the combination of the foods themselves. For example, I never eat fruit after eating protein or starches. I also don't drink water while I'm eating because I believe that it slows down the digestion of food in my system."
Core advice: "Don't count calories or reduce food to numbers — 400 calories from potato chips and 400 calories from an avocado are not the same thing."
- Hot water with half a lemon, 8 fl oz — 1 calorie
- Fruit-and-veggie smoothie (fresh lettuce, spinach, celery, apple, pear, banana, lemon juice, parsley), 32 fl oz — 332 calories
- Salad (arugula, sprouts, avocado, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, raw sauerkraut, nutritional yeast dressing, lemon juice, cilantro, basil, sea vegetables),16 oz — 511 calories
- Rainbow Light EnzyMend digestive enzyme supplement
- Kale salad (kale, cucumbers, sprouts, tomatoes, raw sauerkraut, 3 tbsp nutritional yeast dressing, lemon juice, cilantro, basil, nori), 16 oz — 276 calories
- Two raw "tacos" stuffed with chopped walnuts, cumin, coriander, and raw soy sauce and wrapped in collard greens, 4 oz — 720 calories
- 72 percent dark chocolate, 1 oz — 179 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES: 2,019
Location: NYC and New Jersey
Weight: Casciaro doesn't weigh herself, but wears "a size 8."
Clients: Confidential, but includes "film actresses and TV personalities."
Fitness regimen: Works out almost every day for at least 30 minutes, alternating among elliptical machines, treadmills, swimming, tennis, and bike riding. Strength trains four times a week.
Indulgences: Vodka, chocolate, wine, cheese.
M.O.: "Essentially, live as the Italians do and enjoy beautiful, in-season food that's prepared with care and eaten slowly."
Core advice: "I encourage clients to focus on eating the way someone at their goal weight would eat. This helps them realize the discrepancy in their choices and serving amounts — but no calorie-counting!"
- One cup of nonfat Greek yogurt, 8 fl oz, with a handful of berries, 4 oz, and 1 tbsp of Grape-Nuts — 196 calories
- Green tea, 8 fl oz — 0 calories
- Salad (arugula, Callipo Italian tuna in olive oil, 3.5 oz, 1 tbsp of white Italian beans, scallions, a handful of croutons, fresh lemon, and 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil), 24 oz — 506 calories
- Baby carrots throughout the day, 15 total — 60 calories
- Apple — 95 calories
- Roasted organic chicken (two whole lemons inside, with a rub of three to four cloves of garlic and 3 tbsp olive oil), one leg and thigh — 331 calories
- Roasted cauliflower, 16 oz — 125 calories
- Three slices of honeydew — 135 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES: 1,448
Location: Los Angeles and Fort Collins, CO
Weight: 128 to 132 pounds
Clients: Confidential, but range from Grammy and Oscar winners to Super Bowl champs and Olympic athletes.
The tab: $125 to $285 for in-office visit. $2,000 to $5,000 per day on location.
Fitness regimen: Rides horses three days per week, which "really helps work my core, glutes, and thighs — all my trouble areas!" Interval running on a treadmill two times per week.
Indulgences: Ice cream, organic whipped cream, and French toast.
M.O.: "I cleanse at least twice a year with the Optimal Cleanse by East West Essentials and have 10 days of food prepared for me via a program I work with called Paleta This is my way of taking care of myself and releasing toxins. I view food as my number one form of medicine. For example, if I wake up and feel like I'm getting a cold, I'll avoid dairy and focus on high vitamin-C-rich foods, like spinach and strawberries."
Core advice: "With a lot of my female clients, I focus on foods that will help establish the body's hormone balance. Balancing blood sugar throughout the day can make a huge impact on mood, energy, and even sleep. Midsection or sudden weight gain is a sign of something being out of balance. Also, if it says fat-free, sugar-free, or nonfat, don't buy it. These will crash out your metabolism."
- Oatmeal, 8 oz, with rice milk, 4 fl oz, a handful of raw pecans, about 1 oz, and berries, 4 oz, with Stevia and cinnamon sprinkled on top — 483 calories
- Apple with 2 tbsp of raw almond butter — 224 calories
- Trader Joe's brown-rice tortilla, hummus, 2 oz, arugula, 8 oz, ground turkey, 4 oz, and avocado, 4 oz — 746 calories
- Fage 2 percent Greek yogurt, 7 oz, with 2 tbsp flaxseed, 2 tbsp wheat germ, Stevia, and cinnamon — 304 calories
- Grilled halibut, cubed, 6 oz, with pineapple, 4 oz — 350 calories
- Vegetable stir-fry (red and orange bell peppers, red onion, and asparagus), 6 to 8 oz, mixed with brown rice, 4 oz, with 1 tbsp Bragg amino acids and 1 tsp butter — 289 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES: 2,396
Have questions? Enjoy this FREE 30-day pass to my private member community. Use JOINMEFREE at sign up!