What to Eat: 4th Of July Edition (2016)
Happy 4th of July! I never take our freedoms for granted, and in the Land of the Free, we LOVE to grub. This year it falls on Phase 1 – so here are some BBQ-inspired recipes for your Independence Day cookout.
Cumin Beef Kebabs
Phase 2 | Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: Overnight (includes marinating time)
- 1 pound lean beef sirloin, well trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 16 small whole mushrooms
- Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl. Season generously with pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them for 20 minutes before you grill (you’ll need about 8 skewers).
- Preheat the grill or broiler to medium-high heat.
- Thread beef, onions, and mushrooms onto skewers.
- Grill or broil, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes for medium-rare.
Spiced Turkey Burgers
All Phases | Serves 6 | Prep time: 20 to 25 minutes | Total time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 6 sprouted grain buns
- Mix, by hand, all the ingredients and form into patties.
- Cook in a pan on the stovetop (or grill) until fully cooked, about 5 to 8 minutes on each side.
*Note: These can also be made into meatballs and baked in the oven. For Phase 2 omit the sprouted grain buns.
White Bean Dip with Bacon
Phase 1 | Makes About 1 1/2 Cup | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices nitrate-free turkey bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Sauté the chopped bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Add the garlic and 1 tablespoon of the broth to the pan; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining broth along with the beans; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 3 minutes.
- Place the bean mixture and remaining ingredients (except the bacon) in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl, and stir in all but 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooked
bacon. Sprinkle the dip with the remaining bacon and green onions just before serving.
- ½ cup is a protein portion for Phase 1. May also be used in Phase 3.
Fat-Burning Watermelon Slices
Phase 1 | Serves 4 | Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 5 minutes
- 4 cups sliced watermelon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoon lime juice
- Sprinkle the watermelon with chili powder and then pour lime juice on top.
Frozen Fruit Kebabs
Phase 1 | Serves 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 3 hours (includes freezing time)
- 4 cups mixed Phase 1 fruits (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cubed pineapple and sliced kiwi work well)
- Thread the fruit onto wooden skewers.
- Lay the skewers on a plate or tray, cover it with plastic wrap and freeze until you’re ready to serve (the fruit will be completely frozen in about 3 hours).
Peach-Strawberry Lemonade Spritzer
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peaches, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup xylitol
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups ice
- 16 ounces plain seltzer
- Combine the water, peaches and xylitol in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into your blender and allow it to sit uncovered for 20 minutes to cool slightly. Add the strawberries.
- Secure the lid onto your blender and puree until smooth.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly (this will take a few hours in the fridge, or you can put it in the freezer to speed things up).
- Pour the mixture through cheesecloth or a fine metal sieve into a large pitcher.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Divide among 12 ice-filled glasses, and top with a splash of seltzer.
- Garnish with peach and strawberry slices and enjoy!