The Kitchen is My Pharmacy
Let’s Eat Our Way Healthy and Unleash the Burn!
Like I always say, food is my medicine, and the kitchen is my laboratory. Designing recipes with specific ingredients have always served as my way to mix up a metabolic food prescription to heal and repair the metabolism. I want you to remember that E + M = H. Eating and Exercise (Environment) + Metabolism and Metabolic Pathways (Me) equals Health and Homeostasis (Harmony). Food is incredibly powerful because it integrates with the body in a powerful way. The foods you choose can change everything about your energy level, your mood fluctuations, your body shape, and even your lab tests like blood pressure and cholesterol. Food is the answer and these are the recipes (prescriptions) and plans that I am writing for you. My goal here is to give you exactly what you need to repair and heal your body.
Unleashing the Burn
My clients who use the Fast Metabolism Diet, find that in the last three days of the week they begin to Unleash the Burn and release stored fat. I prescribe specific foods and healthy fats to serve as the lighter fluid to fire up the metabolism. I want you to remember that it’s not about calories in and calories out, and it’s not about weight loss. It’s about fixing what’s broken once and for all. If you bake it, your metabolism can take it, and that’s why I’m giving you these metabolic enhancing food prescriptions to take to your kitchen.
By reducing inflammation and focusing on therapeutic foods to repair the health of our hormones, we can bring the body back to balance. Eating a ton of healthy fats can influence Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, and even the master Thyroid gland. Things like avocado, salmon, shrimp, raw nuts and seeds all help to heal and restore our body’s natural hormones and produce enzymes that break down excess fat. That’s why recipes like my Veggie Shrimp Stir-Fry and famous Guacamole, will help to give your body exactly what it needs.
One of my favorite meals in Phase 3 where we unleash the burn is the Veggie Shrimp Stir-Fry. This food prescription uses a unique combination of foods to evoke specific physiological changes in the body.
Let me share what specific ingredients I’m talking about.
- I put in lots of onions and garlic. These veggies are rich in sulfur compounds that have cancer protective properties and have been shown to lower LDL (the low down dirty lipoproteins) and raise HDL (your handy dandy lipoproteins). Onions and garlic help to release these stored lipoproteins and Unleash the Burn. You can add them to lots of other recipes like my Garlic Greens or Garlic-Dijon Grilled Steak.
- I add asparagus and brussels sprouts. These contain the nutrient called glutathione, which helps to detoxify the liver, prevent cancer, and create new healthy cells. This antioxidant enzyme, glutathione, helps to really bolster the immune system and support important metabolic pathways.
- I add this dish over wild rice. Wild Rice is actually a seed that has four times as much protein as brown rice. Eating your veggies over this protein rich combo will help to unleash the burn. I use wild rice in a number of other incredible recipes like this Wild Rice and Black Bean Salad or this Classic Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.
- I use healthy oils like olive oil and grapeseed oil. These are rich in cholesterol-lowering polyunsaturated fats and during Phase 3 of the Fast Metabolism Diet it will trigger your body to burn stored fat.
- I throw in Ginger. Ginger helps to soothe your intestines and reduce gas. It stimulates the body to help energize, digest, and release stored fat. Add it to a Green Smoothie or include it in a delicious Lime Garlic Marinade.
My Veggie Shrimp Stir-Fry is always a Phase 3 favorite to help heal a slow metabolism. I want you to fully enjoy each bite of your food prescription as you think to yourself, “Yummm, this is so delicious! I’m lowering my cholesterol, cleansing my insides, and soothing my body to release stored fat!” Remember that in order to achieve the health you desire, you must have the right building blocks. This is the power of food!