Slow-Cooker Veggie Chili
Serves 6 to 8 | Prep time: Almost nothing (okay, maybe 10 minutes)
Phase 1 and 3
- 1 15-oz. can each of:
- Organic kidney beans
- Organic pinto beans
- Organic black beans
- Organic white beans
- Organic adzuki beans
- Organic garbanzo beans
- 1 or 2 cups dry lentils (use more if you like thick chili, less if you prefer soupy chili)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbls. chili powder
- 1 cup diced organic celery
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (I like Pacific brand)
- Ready for the hard part? Partially drain the beans, then dump everything into your slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 to 8 hours on medium.
- Top with diced avocado, chopped onion, chopped cilantro or jalapenos! Oh–don’t sweat it if you can’t find adzuki beans. Just add an extra can of one of the others. Adzuki beans are great though; they have a nutty flavor and are high in protein.
Please note: Because this recipe contains a large number of starchy legumes, it counts as a grain, as well as a protein and veggie servings. There is no need to add an additional grain to this meal.